Kurzweil 1000TM is award-winning software that makes printed or electronic text readily available to people who are blind or visually impaired. It combines accessibility, communication and productivity tools to ease and enhance their reading, writing and learning experience.
The software speaks text aloud in a variety of natural-sounding voices that can be modified to suit individual preferences. In addition, it provides users with document creation and editing as well as study skills capabilities for note taking, summarizing and outlining text.
Kurzweil 1000 delivers quick access to a wealth of information including online books, magazines and encyclopedias so users can pursue any reading interests. They can also take their reading wherever they go by sending files to Braille note takers and embossers as well as portable devices such as DAISY and MP3 audio players.
Kurzweil 1000 is easy to use for beginners, yet powerful and flexible for advanced users. With its wide array of useful features, users save time and gain independence – whether at home, at school, or at work.
- Updated OCR. As is customary, we are providing the latest versions of ScanSoft (16.1) and FineReader (Version 9). You'll find that ScanSoft 16.1 offers impressive PDF recognition.
- New User Wizard. If you are a new user, try the topic-based mini tutorials in the Wizard. Some topics help you select preferences and set up the system to get you started quickly.
- Text translation. Translate blocks of text from one language to another.
- Pronunciations and Anagrams in the Dictionary dialog complement existing lookup features, Hear a person speaking the word you are looking up and find all anagrams associated with the word. The Pronounce feature requires WAV files that are on the second program disk.
- Image Display now with three options: Show Image for maximized image display, Show Both Image and Text for split-screen display, and Hide Image for text only display.
- Continuous reading and paging functions in image view.
- New devices for sending a document. Kurzweil 1000 now supports any device that emulates a disk drive on a PC, making it possible to send files to virtually any new type of device.
- Bookmarks in PDF. When opened and converted to KES files, PDF files automatically include bookmarks extracted from the originals.
- Save Recognition lets you save and go back to wherever you left off in a recognition process – particularly helpful when recognizing large files.
- MP3 Encoder for audio file conversions. For users who don't have an MP3 encoder on their systems, Kurzweil 1000 provides one.
- Audio file conversion to Daisy 2.02 from any WAV or MP3 file.
- Playlist support lets you add WAV or MP3 files to existing iTunes playlists or to a playlist on your system's Windows Media Player.
- Quick Bookmark access from File Open. A quick Right Arrow press in the File list opens a list of bookmarks. Selecting one opens the file at that bookmark's location.
- Convert any image file, or collection of image files, into accessible documents in a variety of supported formats by using the new KOCRUtil utility.
- New bills support in Currency Recognition.
- Phrase support when correcting and changing pronunciations.
- Regular Expressions lets you make powerful search, or search and replace, queries.
If you would like to review a manufacturer's PDF brochure, click here.